Mel is a British solo female adventurer who lives in Iceland.
She has a mind-boggling proclivity for calamitous misfortune, accompanied by an indomitable desire to continue exploring anyway.
In the last decade Mel has travelled to 50+ countries. She has hiked through the Nepalese Himalayas, over the stunning south Island of New Zealand, and across live volcanos in Central America. She has kayaked with whales in Alaska, snorkelled with hammerhead sharks in Belize and spotted orang-utans in the jungles of Borneo.
On the other hand Mel has also been airlifted to hospital in Nepal, treated for a gangrenous leg in China and rescued by locals, whilst being attacked by monkeys in India. But as long as she makes it out alive she’ll be eager to laugh about it and move on to the next adventure.
Oh, and she lives with fibromyalgia and depression but deals with it through an attitude of acceptance, taking each day as it comes and nurturing an enduring, determined optimism.
Mel’s top 10 dream trips are:
- Gaze in awe at the Moai statues on Easter Island
- Trek the Torres del Paine in Patagonia
- Kayak in Antarctica
- Hang out with Lemurs and chameleons in Madagascar
- Snorkle in Bora Bora
- Cycle the Mendoza vineyards of Argentina
- Run the Laugavegur ultra marathon in Iceland
- Experience land diving in Vanuatu
- Trek the Overland Track in Tasmania
- Wander around the dead trees and ghost town of Namibia
Follow this blog to read about Mel’s journey towards making these dreams come true!